[DLSLUG-Announce] DLSLUG: Monthly Meeting - February 3rd

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Jan 31 21:45:02 EST 2005

            Dartmouth-Lake Sunapee Linux Users Group
                    http://www.dlslug.org/

The next regular monthly meeting of the DLSLUG will be held:
                  Thursday, February 3rd, 7-9PM
at:         Dartmouth College, Carson Hall Room L01
                 All are welcome, free of charge.

                             Agenda

7:00  Sign-in, networking

7:15  Introductory remarks

7:20  Linux on the WRT54G

	  Presented by Ted Roche

	  This talk will focus on the use of third-party firmware
       with the Linksys WRT54G wireless router to make this
       consumer device into a full-featured network router.
       The WRT54G is a Linux machine with built in router,
       switch and wireless transmitters and amazing capabilities,
       all for under $100.

8:05  Wireless Party!
	  We're going to hook up our WRT54G's and build wireless LAN's
	  using the firmwares Ted just spoke about.  Bring one along
	  and we'll help you configure a wireless gateway for your
	  home or office using a 3rd-party Linux distribution.  There
       will be a couple of extras on hand but if you're doing
	  anything wireless you owe it to yourself to go get one.
	  They've been seen at Staples and other computer stores in the
       area for < $80.  Please bring your wireless gear (laptops/
	  routers) and an ethernet cable for flashing the firmware.

8:50  Roundtable Exchange - where the attendees can make
       announcements or ask a linux question.

Please see the website for links to directions.

If any area companies are interested in sponsoring refreshments, please
let me know.
Please RSVP so we can give a refreshment sponsor a headcount.

---------
MAILING LISTS

    There are two mailman lists set up for DLSLUG, an Announce list and a
Discuss list.  Please sign up for the Announce list (moderated,
low-volume) to stay apprised of the group's activities and the Discuss
list (unmoderated) for group discussion.  Links to the mailing lists
are on the webpage.

    Please pass this information along to anyone else you think might be
interested.
-----
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle